Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kamonyi Training

I just got back from helping out with the training at Kamonyi. It was pretty cool. The new volunteers are great. They are a smart group and they're very excited to be in Rwanda; I could tell by the quality and quantity of their questions. I think I gave them some pretty good tips (I never realized how much I knew about Rwanda). It was great to meet everyone and help out.

Besides answering questions and giving presentations about culture, my main duty was to get the water filters up and running. Every volunteer is given a water filter to use for the duration of their service. For whatever reason, some of them were not working. I spent the better part of two days working out the kinks. Fun stuff, I know, but important.

Oh yeah, one more thing, there is NO electricity there. I am used to frequent power outages, but no power at all was a new thing for me. I pushed through it, though. I guess it is better for the new volunteers this way. If they can get used to living with no electricity now, then they should do just fine when they get to their sites, which will probably have electricity.

It seems like they are all having a good time with their host families too. Two of the volunteers have already left, but the other 18 seem to be going strong. Anyway, I might be going back there to help out next week; I don't know yet, but I really hope I get to go there again soon. I think the work that goes into PC trainings is very interesting.

At any rate, I am back in Kigali. I still don't know what is going on with my new home/office in Kamembe; I'm suppose to find out more on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Until I move, I'll probably be hanging around Kigali and working with staff on projects. I am staying at the new guest house that PC Rwanda has bought/built and it is freaking AWESOME. It can accomodate like 30 people; it has a full kitchen; and it has HOT SHOWERS!

That has been my week, pretty much. Tomorrow I am going to Rubona, my old site, to visit some friends. I am really looking forward it. If I get some time tomorrow, I'll let you know how it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment